- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Minister Linas Linkevičius and the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė are participating in the EU Foreign Affairs Council in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius is taking part in the General Affairs Council and the General Affairs (Art.50) Council in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October at 3.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Meeting in Luxembourg
- 2018-10-15 On 15 October, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in political consultations and bilateral meetings in Astana and Karaganda, Kazakhstan
- 2018-10-16 On 16 October at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the Vice-President of the European Commission Maroš Šefčovič in Brussels
General Affairs Council discusses the next long-term EU budget and legislative priorities
On 18 September in Brussels, the Vice-Foreign Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Albinas Zananavičius attended the General Affairs Council. The Council held a debate on the multiannual financial framework for 202-2027.
"The European Union must maintain an appropriate balance between the new priorities and priorities set out in the Treaty on European Union, first and foremost, the cohesion policy and the EU‘s common agricultural policy. There are many priorities, therefore, it is necessary to increase contributions to the EU budget respectively and concentrate more than 1% of the EU's GDP. We are ready to do it," said the Vice-Minister A. Zananavičius. Lithuania‘s Foreign Vice-Minister stressed the need to ensure sufficient funding for the decommissioning of the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant and the most important infrastructure projects – Rail Baltica, synchronization of the electricity network with the European system, creating favorable conditions for the participation of Lithuanian scientists in the EU framework program for research and innovation “Horizon 2020", and emphasized the need to maintain the European Neighborhood instrument as a separate financial instrument.
The Council also discussed the Commission's priorities and intentions for its work program for 2019. "Efforts to strengthen the energy union and to update the EU Gas Directive, negotiations on the next multiannual financial framework, and further deepening of the Economic and Monetary Union are of importance to us. On the other hand, we believe we do not dedicate enough interest in the issues of Ukraine and the entire Eastern Partnership," said the Vice-Minister A. Zananavičius.
For more information about the meeting, please read here.