- 2019-02-20 On 20 February at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2019-02-20 On 20 February at 1:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius takes part in a Government sitting and meeting
- 2019-02-21 On 21 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius visits Poland as part of a delegation led by the Lithuanian President
- 2019-02-21 On 21 February at 11:00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas receives the Ambassador of the French Republic Claire Lignieres-Counathe
- 2019-02-21 On 21 February at 2:30 p.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas meets with the Hungarian Minister of State for the European Union Relations Judit Varga
President of Ireland received the academic regalia of Honorary Doctor from Vytautas Magnus University
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Linas Linkevičius, took part in a solemn meeting of the Senate of Vytautas Magnus University on 20 June where President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins, who was paying a visit to Lithuania, received the academic regalia of Honorary Doctor of Vytautas Magnus University.
The Minister says that Lithuania and Ireland share similar historical experiences and challenges typical of small countries, while a large Lithuanian diaspora in Ireland is a link between the two countries as it facilitates cooperation in various areas.
“It is gratifying to see closer ties between our countries, regions, towns and people. The President of Ireland is the first representative of his country who has been conferred with an honorary degree by Vytautas Magnus University. We believe this step will lead to still more intensive development of ties between the academic communities of the two countries,” Linas Linkevičius said at the award ceremony.
The President of Ireland has been conferred with the degree of Honorary Doctor in social sciences for promoting humanistic values, active engagement in human rights issues and preservation of his country’s heritage. Michael D. Higgins is respected by his fellow citizens as a consistent advocate of human rights, peace and democratic values. Michael D. Higgins was the first to receive the Peace Prize from the International Peace Bureau in Helsinki in 1992. The President of Ireland has received the honorary degree of doctor from Indiana University (USA), the University of Western Australia and other higher education institutions.