- 2019-05-20 On 20 May at 10.00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas participates in bilateral political consultations between Lithuania and Cuba
- 2019-05-20 On 20 May at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends a ministerial meeting
- 2019-05-21 On 21 May at 11.30 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius participates in the Baltic-German Foreign Ministers' meeting in Hamburg
- 2019-05-21 On 21 May at 2.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius holds a press conference on the margins of the Baltic-German Foreign Ministers‘ meeting in Hamburg
- 2019-05-21 On 21 May at 1.30 p.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas meets with the Ambassador of France Claire Lignières-Counathe
Strengthening EU resilience to hybrid threats is Lithuania’s priority
On 10 April, the Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Darius Skusevičius attended the Stratcom Summit in Prague, where he presented Lithuania’s contribution to the strengthening of the European Union’s resilience to hybrid threats and disinformation.
“We live in the age of fake news. Disinformation and other hybrid threats present a very serious challenge for Western unity and security. Hostile third countries, first and foremost Russia, systematically use propaganda to divide us, undermine mutual trust, influence democratic and decision-making processes. The country invests huge financial resources into propaganda,” said Lithuania’s Foreign Vice-Minister.
According to D. Skusevičius, it is necessary to effectively distribute functions and resources, to apply best practices to counter disinformation at EU level, to cooperate with NATO, non-governmental organizations, to involve the private sector, society and media. The next European elections will present another challenge that will demonstrate our community's resilience to propaganda by third countries. It must be ensured that the action to counter hybrid threats is an integral part of the EU’s new Strategic Agenda.
At Lithuania’s initiative, the European External Action Service created the East StratCom Task Force in 2015, while the Action Plan against Disinformation was endorsed in 2018.
D. Skusevičius also met with the Czech Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Martin Povejšil and the Chairperson of the Interparliamentary Friendship Group with the Republic of Lithuania in the Czech Parliament Mikuláš Peksa in Prague. With the Czech officials, D. Skusevičius discussed security cooperation and the development of bilateral relations, perspectives of the Eastern Partnership. In addition, Lithuania’s Foreign Vice-Minister thanked the Czech Republic for its contribution to ensuring security of Lithuania and the Baltic states.
The Fifth Stratcom Summit 2019 has brought together more than 200 officials, experts in international relations and security specialists from 25 countries.